Click on any picture below to see a larger version
4/17 - Harderwijk to Amersfoort - Another 40 windy miles where we saw lots of
interesting fishing villages and talked with several locals.
Below - An old windmill in Harderwijk
ABOVE - Judith and Fred and an art cow
BELOW - Our transportation for the next two weeks.
These are actually carbon fiber frames and fenders, but the bikes are still heavy!
They also have front shocks, seatpost shocks, and front and rear disk brakes.
The chain system is completely enclosed to prevent rust, and the gears are hub enclosed.
Below - Fred on one of the bike paths through the forest
Welcome to the beach campground bikepath
Flat bike paths as far as you can see
Below, left - Judith in the fishing village of Spakenburg
Lots of great old fishing boats here
Below, middle - We even enjoyed a ferry crossing today & it cost only 70 cents!
The ferry master even took our photo for the price of the crossing - what a deal!
Below - Time for lunch on the polders
Below - We spent most of the day on bike paths following canals.
Below, left - Judith crossing a small lock
Below, middle - Waiting for a boat to pass under the bike drawbridge
Below, left - Main entrance to Amersfoort
Judith riding through the old Amersfoort gate near our hotel
Amersfoort received town rights in 1259 by the bishop of Utrecht Hendrik van Vianden.
In the deed, the town was described as a fortress, that is, the city was reinforced,
probably by an earthen wall, perhaps with gates. By the end of the 13th century,
the first stone wall was built, with a length of 1550 meters, surrounded by a moat.
The Our Lady Tower is the main focal point. With its 98 meters it is the third highest
church tower in the Netherlands. The associated church was destroyed in an explosion in 1787.
The tower was used in 1960 as the origin of the coordinate system of the Rijksdriehoeksnet.
The exact center of the Our Lady Tower was the point from which the Netherlands cadastral
was numbered and is therefore still called the geographical center of the Netherlands.