Click on any picture below to see a larger version

10/02 - Coach and Train Excursion to Palma, Sóller, and Valdemossa.

This page contains only the pictures from our guided tour of Palma.

                   

ABOVE  - Early morning sunrise at our hotel pool in Sa Coma

The Cathedral of Santa Maria of Palma, more commonly referred to as La Seu,

is a Gothic Roman Catholic Cathedral.

                   

La Seu stands out from its surroundings, a demonstration of the might

of Mallorca's Christian conquerors to all who arrived by sea. It is a spectacular view

from the seafront as you gaze up at its golden sandstone exterior climbing above the old city walls.

                 

Tradition has it that a storm arose as Jaume I was sailing towards Mallorca.

He vowed that if he landed safely he would build a great church in honor of the Virgin.

On New Year's Day 1230, a day after the fall of Palma, the foundation stone was symbolically

laid on the site of the city's main mosque. Work continued for 400 years - and had to resume

in 1851 when an earthquake destroyed the west front.

More touches were added this century by the Catalan architect, Antoni Gaudi.

BELOW - The Palacio Real de La Almudaina, the Royal Palace of La Almudaina

is the Alcázar (fortified palace) of Palma, stands opposite the dramatic cathedral.
 

                   

You enter through a side door, passing a small museum, head for the west portal

and gaze down the long nave. Light pours in through the rose window - one of

the world's largest, 12m across and studded with 1,236 pieces of stained glass.

                   

The columns are ringed with wrought-iron candelabra designed by Gaudi.

His most controversial addition is the unfinished Crown of Thorns, fashioned from

cardboard and cork and suspended above the altar.

BELOW - This light, and most others in the Palma Cathedral,

was designed by Antoni Gaudi, Moderisme architect from Barcelona

                   

Gaudi added the wrought-iron canopy over the main altar in 1909.

BELOW, middle - Works by the artist Miquel Barceló in the Santísimo Chapel, with a huge ceramic mural.

The chapel is inspired by the parable of the fish and the bread, but Barceló’s obsession

with materials and animals and the earth are very present. It works as a cracked terra-cotta

skin on the cathedral walls, like a cave in the sea made of mud and skulls and fishes

                     

In 1901, fifty years after a restoration of the cathedral had started, Antoni Gaudí was invited to

take over the project. While some of his ideas were adopted – moving the choir stalls

from the middle nave to be closer to the altar, as well as a large canopy –

Gaudí abandoned his work in 1914 after an argument with the contractor.

BELOW - Around the old town

                   

BELOW - The King Forteza Building, near the manin square, wasdDesigned by the goldsmith

Lluís Forteza-Rey. It shares the metallic structure of the inner body with the L'Aguila, and the two

buildings that are modeled on the Catalan modernisme architectural style, There is plentiful

decoration on the facades, including a Mallorcan ceramics factory polychrome "The Arugula".

                  

BELOW - Vegetables in the Palma Market. The hanging tomatoes

are picked green then hung to last and ripen throughout the winter.