Click on any picture below to see a larger version
Salzburg's Cathedral is the largest of the city's 36 churches. The first church to be erected
on the site dates back to 774 and was dedicated to St. Virgil and St. Rupert.
The building we see today - the third on the site - was erected from 1614 to 1628
by the architect Santino Solari and consecrated by Archbishop Paris Lodron,
during the chaos of the Thirty Years' War. The cathedral can be seen
from many points in the city but its even more majestic close up!
This church was built in just 14 years (1614-28), so it boasts harmonious architecture.
In 1959, a partial reconstruction was completed, made necessary
by a WWII bomb that had blown through the dome.
The cathedral was just around the corner from our hotel between two busy squares.
The stucco, by a Milanese artist, is exceptional and extends throughout the church.
The altar is Baroque with a Resurrection scene painted behind.
There are paintings lining the nave that show events leading up to Christ's death.
BELOW - Franciscan Church (Franziskanerkirche)
The history of the Franciscan Church - similar to the history of Salzburg Cathedral (Dom)
can be traced back to Salzburg's early Christian period. Both churches are distinguished
by their contrasting architectural styles: the Cathedral, a dominating Baroque bishops' church
and the Franciscan Church, a slender, Gothic church for the middle class.
The Cathedral, a stately ecclesiastical structure, the Franciscan Church a place of silent communion.
BELOW - Vaulted ceiling inside Franciscan Church
BELOW - St. Michael's Church is the oldest parish church in Salzburg's burghers' town.
It stands on ancient ground between the Residenzplatz and the Waagplatz.
It served as a palace chapel and parish church up to the 12th century.
BELOW - St. Peter's Abbey. The neighborhood around the Benedictine St. Peter′s
Abbey is the oldest quarter of Salzburg. The main entrance of the abbey faces
the southern side-entrance to the Franziskanerkirche. St. Peter's
is the oldest monastery in the German-speaking world, founded in 696.
In the heart of Salzburg’s Old Town, St. Peter’s Abbey (or Stift Sankt Peter) is known
for its cemetery and ancient lineage, dating back to the 800s. The Benedictine
monastery’s abbey church has a Romanesque structure and lavish rococo interior.
BELOW - Renaissance-style tombs of wealthy on the side wall of St. Peter's Church.
Legendary medieval hermit monks are said to have lived in the hillside
(into the side of the Monchsberg mountain) above the St. Peter's cemetery.
BELOW - The once purely Romanesque interior has since been given a Rococo finish.
The fancy stucco work was done by Bavarian artists. There are still a few faded 13th century
frescoes on side pillars but sadly many hide under Rococo whitewash.
We attended Mass here and enjoyed beautiful music from the huge organ and choir.
We couldn't take photos during the service but with all the lights on,
the interior was even more spectacular.