Click on any picture below to see a larger version
October 2, 2017 - Dubrovnik Churches, etc.
Our last full day in Dubrovnik
Today was our day to visit all of the Dubrovnik churches, and other places we haven't yet seen.
We fly tomorrow from here to Paris then home on Wednesday. We've had a fabulous vacation
and are sad to have it come to an end, but it will be good to be home.
ABOVE LEFT - St. Blaise's Church (Crkva Sv. Vlaha) on Luža Square was built in 1667
after the earthquake and fire. It was designed in Baroque style by a Venetian
architect and sculptor and dedicated to the city's patron saint, St. Blaise.
ABOVE MIDDLE - The barrel-vaulted interior is richly decorated in Baroque style.
The main altar, in a combination of white and polychrome marble, shows in a
high niche a precious, gilt silver Gothic statue of Saint Blaise, crafted in the
15th century by an unknown local master. The saint shows in his left hand a
scale model of the Romanesque church which was destroyed by the earthquake in 1667.
He is flanked by two kneeling angels. This statue was the only one to survive the fire of 1706.
ABOVE RIGHT - Colored light reflecting on the columns from one of the stained glass windows
ABOVE LEFT - Sponza Palace (Sponza-Povijesni Arhiv) on Luža Square. This building
from 1522 is the finest surviving example of Dubrovnik's Golden Age in the
5th and 16th centuries. It's a combination of Renaissance (ground floor arcade)
and Venetian Gothic (upstairs windows). This used to be a customs office
(dogana) but now contains an archive of the city's history.
ABOVE MIDDLE - Rector's Palace (Knežev dvor) was built as the seat of the government
and the apartment of the prince, the most important political figure in the Dubrovnik Republic.
He was elected for a term of one month and was at the helm of the Council. In Prince's Palace,
he had his office and apartment where he stayed during his term, separated from his family.
At that time he could not leave the court except in the case of state and protocol reasons.
Overnight, he would keep the keys from the city that he
returned to the people at the protocol ceremony.
ABOVE RIGHT - Cathedral (Katedrala). This 18th century Roman Baroque building
replaced the original 12th century Romanesque Cathedral
after it was destroyed in the 1667 earthquake.
ABOVE LEFT - Interior of the Cathedral with a painting from the school of Titian
(Assumption of the Virgin) over the stark contemporary altar.
ABOVE MIDDLE - Close-up of the Cathedral's Altar
ABOVE RIGHT - Side chapel in the Cathedral. Beautiful marble
ABOVE LEFT - Organ in the Cathedral
ABOVE MIDDLE - Exterior of the Serbian Orthodox Church
ABOVE RIGHT - Interior of the Serbian Orthodox Church. The paintings and other
decorations are packed with intricate symbolism against a shimmering gold background,
and are not intended to be lifelike. They're meant to remind viewers of the
metaphysical nature of Jesus and the saints, rather than their physical form.
ABOVE LEFT - St. Ignatius of Loyola Church. This Jesuit church was built in the
baroque style between 1699 and 1725. Inside, frescoes display scenes
from the life of St Ignatius, founder of the Society of Jesuits.
ABOVE MIDDLE - The interior is decorated by magnificent Baroque frescoes with
scenes from life of St. Ignatius de Loyola painted by Gaetano Garcia.
The ceiling of the dome represents the glory of St. Ignatius.
ABOVE RIGHT - Baroque frescoes above the altar
ABOVE LEFT - The central painting behind the altar shows St. Ignatius holding the
Book of Rules of the Jesuit Society. Around him are four women representing the
four continents in which Jesuits were working at the time.
ABOVE MIDDLE - We loved this guitarist's music (playing in front of the Rector's Palace),
so bought his CD. He is part of a trio with his brothers and is originally from Belgrade, Serbia
ABOVE RIGHT - Just outside the walls and the Pile Gate - the main entrance to the walled city
ABOVE - Nice view from outside the walls
ABOVE MIDDLE - Golden statue of St. Blaise, patron saint of Dubrovnik,
atop the church dedicated to him.
ABOVE RIGHT - Concert in Rector's Palace. The instrument called Shakuhachi is made of
bamboo and was played by Yosuke Irie, who was in Dubrovnik
on a cultural exchange from Japan.