Click on any picture below to see a larger version
September 30, 2017 - Old Town Dubrovnik
We moved to the center of Old Town Dubrovnik to a sobe, a private room run by a friendly
English-speaking Croatian. Pero and Valerija Carević have renovated a 600-year-old
house at the top of Dubrovnik's Old Town where they now offer five comfortable,
modern rooms; each comes with wooden beams, and antique furniture.
It was located in a perfect place in the old town. Everything was right outside our door.
The real attraction here is the Old Town and its relaxing, breezy setting. It's a
multigenerational celebration of life, where everybody's out enjoying an easygoing stroll
ABOVE LEFT - View of the harbor of Dubrovnik from our hotel, just before we checked out
ABOVE MIDDLE - The street where we now live, in beautiful Old Town Dubrovnik
ABOVE RIGHT - Bell Tower (Gradski Zvonik) was originally built in 1444 but rebuilt
in the 1920s when it started to lean. This is at the end of the wide main
300-yard-long promenade called Stradun. Sponza Palace is on the left.
ABOVE LEFT - Sponza Palace and Gradski Zvonik drenched in late afternoon sunlight.
ABOVE MIDDLE - Built between 1520 and 1528, Holy Saviour Church was
one of the few buildings to survive the earthquake of 1667.
ABOVE RIGHT - Always seems to be a wedding. Just after the wedding party exited
St. Blaise's Church, there were red flares lighted on the steps and lots of lively music and cheers.
Dubrovnik was a major maritime power 500 years ago with the 3rd biggest Navy in the
Mediterranean. Busy merchants, the salt trade and shipbuilding made Dubrovnik rich -
but their most valued commodity was always freedom, and even today
their motto "Libertas" (liberty) is displayed all over town.
ABOVE LEFT and MIDDLE - Traditional costume in the market
ABOVE RIGHT - Rector's Palace (Knežev dvor) on the left used to serve as the
seat of the Rector of the Republic of Ragusa between the 14th century and 1808.
The dome belongs to Dubrovnik's Cathedral (Katedrala). It was originally built in the
12th century and was the finest Romanesque Church on the Adriatic before it was
destroyed in the 1667 earthquake. This version is 18th century Roman Baroque.
ABOVE LEFT - St. Blaise's Church. According to legend, St. Blaise came to a local
priest in a dream, warning that Venetians soon would attack the city.
He alerted authorities, who prepared for war. The prediction came true,
and the city was saved. St. Blaise has been a Dubrovnik symbol -
and locals have resented Venice - ever since.,
ABOVE MIDDLE - Dubrovnik Cathedral Dome
ABOVE RIGHT - Our room in the old town. I should have
taken a picture of the beautiful wood ceiling and beams.
ABOVE LEFT - Night view of the Sponza Palace (on left) and St. Blaise's Church
(Crkva Sv Vlaha), dedicated to the patron saint of Dubrovnik,
with Orlando's Column, Orlandov Stup, in the foreground. The column, erected in 1417,
was used as a place to announce news, and as a pillory, where people were publicly punished.
ABOVE MIDDLE - Serbian Orthodox Church interior at night
ABOVE RIGHT - Looking down the Stradum (main street) - Rector's Palace on the left.
ABOVE - Last look at the bell tower and City Hall. At the top of each hour, the time
is clanged out on the bell by two bronze bell-ringers, Maro and Baro.
The clock has to be wound every two days.